Creating a Metallic Paint materialMaterials
Simple Metallic Paint
The metallic paint is a mix of two layers. The Base layer which is basically the color of the paint and a Coating Layer on top of that.
- Start with a Basic Layer.
- Select a dark color for the Diffuse Channel.
- Use the same color in the Reflection Channel but brighter.
- Increase the Extinction Coefficient to a value of 2.00.
- Increase Roughness to 35%.
- Add a Coating Layer.
Advanced Metallic Paintwith Flakes
To create a more realistic car paint, we need to add an extra layer for the Metallic Flakes. Starting from the previous Metallic Paint:
- Create a Glossy Layer and move it between the two layers.
- Click on the Texture button of the Diffuse Channel (image 6).
- Select the 1st icon of the Texture Lab, click on the Color icon and select a Color.
- Select the button right below it, click on the Bitmap icon and select a Flakes pattern.
- Use the same grayscale image in the Layer’s Weight channel.
- Finally, load a normal map version of the flakes texture in the Bump Channel and activate Normal Mapping (image 7).